Personal cloud installation: Piece of cake!
- Ecosystem Creation - Cloud Computing with Cloud8
- Microsoft’s Azure becoming a threat for Amazon
- Cloud robotics to change the way people live in the future
- 03 hottest cloud computing skills for getting a high-paid job
- Personal cloud installation: Piece of cake!
- The 10 most powerful individuals in enterprise technology
- Microsoft arrangements to utilize ARM chips for cloud computing
- The irreplacable role of information technology in cloud computing
Such cloud storage services like Dropbox, Google Drive or Box offer limited free storage. Therefore, you are advised to store only most important data on these clouds in order to get rid of running out of space.
If you are looking for an upgradable storage with which you can save several GB or even several TB of information, what you need is a third-party software allowing you to create your own cloud.
You do not have to worry about the resource as there are a variety of software that can help you to expend your storage. Just type the keyword “personal cloud tools” on the search bar and feel free to pick your favorite tool. We will discuss 08 most convenient tools and some tips to use them effectively.
Note: You are advised to have your laptop operated by Windows, Mac OS X or Linux as a server computer for your own cloud.
1. Resilio (download on Resilio (formerly known as Bittorrent Sync) allows users to exchange large amount data safely and to create personal clouds together with some other simple installations. Resilio's versions are now available for almost all operating systems like Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, FreeBSD, iOS, Android, Windows Phone and Kindle Fire.
To install Resilio, you need to choose 'Add an exception for Resilio Sync in Windows Firewall' in order to permit this tool. Besides, so as to ensure that Resilio runs continuously and stably, you should 'Start Resilio Sync when Windows starts up' and add Resilio Sync into Windows Service. Additionally, you need to install Resilio on devices with which you would like to access your personal clouds.
To cloud server, hit 'Add Folder' and choose the folder that you want to share, and then click 'OK' to finish. Just one more thing, on Share interface, choose 'Read Only' or 'Read & Write', depending on your specific purpose. In order to ensure the privacy, you press 'New peers I invite must be approved by me', choose the valid amount of time, as short as possible such as 1 or 2 days only, and activate 'Link can be used 1 time'.
You can copy or send the links of the folders that you want to share to the receivers. If you would like to access the cloud from your mobiles, copy the Key or scan the QR.
2. pCloud (Download on Formerly, pCloud was only applicable to devices operated by iOS and Mac OS X. The good news is, todays, people using Windows, OS X and Android can access to this tool. It is comparatively simple to install pCloud. Just download and sign up or sign in (if you have already had an account) to enjoy wonderful functions of this software.
Just like Resilio, OwnCloud is accessible to almost all operating systems like Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, iOS, Android. Users can find the instructions for OwnCloud installation here: https://owncloud.org/install/#instructions-server. Having finished the installation, with your personal devices (clients), you can access the cloud server via applications developed by OwnCloud or by a third party.
4. Seafile (Download on http://seafile.com/en/home)
Seafile is quite easy to utilize. You can access SeaCloud.cc to create the cloud server and use other devices to get to the cloud. Nowadays, Seafile allows accesses from Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, iOS, Android and supports cloud server establishments from Windows, Linux and Raspberry Pi.
The way Cozy functions is similar to OwnCloud does. Cozy permits users to create a professional personal server basing on Google App Engine. Interestingly, Cozy has its specialized versions for Virtualbox, Raspberry Pi, OpenVZ, Cubieboard2 and Cubietruck virtual machines.
Furthermore, Cozy allows users to have online offices equipped with several tools like Calendar, Contacts, Emails and Blog.
AeroFS’s versions are available to Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, iOS and Android. In order to use AeroFS, you follow these steps:
_ Download and install the software. After that, create AeroFS Server as a virtual machine.
_ Download and install AeroFS for clients and start sharing data.
This is an ideal choice for people who wish to have their own personal cloud. However, Sparkle Share has a minus point that it copies the entire computer so this tool will take a huge storage capacity.
Git-annex functions on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. This is a flexible tool because not only does it offer beginners basic interface, but Git-annex also suits superior users with some advanced setups.
By: Chris Stewart